Mozzarella Cheese Stick Makeover
Easy Baked Tofu Squares
I always prepare a mix of party foods to please a varied audience. Add this simple recipe to your game-day party plan and you will enrich your Vegetarian and Vegan guests with a nice protein-rich snack. Toss with a little nutritional yeast right after baking for a rich and cheesy treat that will have your Omnivore friends dipping into the bowl too!
- 1 -14 oz package extra-firm, sprouted organic tofu
- Paper towels
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Wrap tofu snugly in 4 or 5 layers of paper towels and arrange on a plate. Cover with a second plate and balance a heavy can or two on top to weigh down the plate and press down on the tofu; set aside to let drain for 30 minutes. Remove and discard paper towels, then replace with dry paper towels and repeat process a second time.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a 9” by 13” glass baking dish, spread the coconut oil evenly across the bottom of the dish. It is easiest when the oil is at room temperature in its solid state.
- Cut tofu into (1-inch) squares and arrange them in a single layer in the glass baking dish on top of the layer of coconut oil. Bake the tofu and after 20 minutes of baking flip the tofu so both sides turn crisp. Remove the tofu when they turn a golden brown – 40 minutes total.
- Serve as is next to your favorite dips. We like Asian mustard sauce or a mix of sesame seed oil and tamari